Latest Updates from St Oswald's Hospice
Latest Updates from St Oswald's Hospice
- 09 July 2019The finished piece represents the heritage of St Oswald’s and all of the most important aspects of the hospice to our patients. It was carefully painted by our Craft Room volunteer Steve Copping who transformed the elephant into the beautiful final creation.
Wrapped around the body of the elephant are some of our patients favourite North East pl... Read More
- 05 July 2019Pupils at Crookhill Primary School in Ryton, Gateshead, have been working on a very unusual canvas in their classroom this term.
With Elmer’s Great North Parade around the corner, the school have been busy painting their very own little elephant sculpture, alongside fundraising over £7000 for the Hospice. The primary school has two special conne... Read More
- 04 July 2019Property professionals from across the North East and Scotland joined forces to raise money St Oswald’s, and like the England game at the beginning of the Women’s World Cup, the Geordies were victorious over the Jocks.
The festival was organised by local property consultancies, Knight Frank, Silverstone Building Consultancy and Greggs was held a... Read More
- 02 July 2019Our friends at Co-op’s Bedlington branch invited instore recently and we took the opportunity to say thank you for all the amazing work they’re doing through their membership scheme. Co-op UK’s members scheme is a little different to most, as every time a customer spends in their food stores a proportion is donated to their chosen charity.
When ... Read More
- 21 June 2019This #ChildrensHospiceWeek is all about moments that matter and allows us to celebrate how we help children, young adults and their families to make precious memories.
Ellen Law, age 18 from Newcastle, is one young person that has benefitted from the services we provide.
Ellen has a rare condition that affects her muscles called Spinal Muscula... Read More
- 19 June 2019Do you want to WIN an incredible overnight stay at an award-winning hotel nestled in the heart of North Yorkshire?
The Crab Manor Hotel, with its highly acclaimed Crab & Lobster restaurant boasts unique, themed rooms with total 'wow' factor.
This #ChildrensHospiceWeek, YOU could win a midweek overnight stay at Crab Manor Hotel* including br... Read More
- 18 June 2019It's Children's Hospice Week and we’re sharing the special ways that the hospice helps families to create moments that really matter to them.
When we found out that a couple whose child uses our Children and Young Adults service were preparing to tie the knot in June last year, we wanted to help to make their wedding day extra special.
Jessica G... Read More
- 12 June 2019A patient who uses our services during the day has been taking a different approach to fundraising for St Oswald’s to give something back.
Joan Cook, 78 from Prudhoe has been attending our Focus on Living Centre for just over a year now. Recently going abroad on a family holiday to Estepona in Malaga, Joan tells us how she managed to raise £160 ... Read More
- 11 June 2019Ahead of Father’s Day we spoke to our Bereavement Team, who wanted to share some advice for anyone who is grieving. Brenda Clayton, Beth Gregan and Sarah Beaumont, who make up our Bereavement Team, said:
Despite what many people might think, there’s no right or wrong way to grieve and it’s unique to everyone. We often find that people worry tha... Read More
- 04 June 2019We love all our volunteers here at St Oswald’s Hospice and we couldn’t provide our services without their ongoing support and commitment. We’d like to say a big thank you to all our Volunteers during this Volunteers’ Week, 1 – 7 June.
Volunteers’ Week is a nationwide campaign which recognises the contribution that millions of volunteers make in... Read More
- 04 June 2019Our latest issue of Snapshot, our hospice newsletter, is now available and as always, it’s packed full of our latest news, keeping you up to date with new developments here at St Oswald’s.
This issue includes news about how patients with dementia are being supported, a roundup of what our children and young adults have been up to, including Elme... Read More
- 03 June 2019This week is #VolunteerWeek (1st-7th June) and here at St Oswald’s we are proud to be supporting it with our own celebrations.Volunteers' Week is a national campaign honouring the work that millions of volunteers across the UK undertake. We are so grateful to the 1,100 volunteers who support St Oswald’s Hospice on a regular basis.St Oswald’s has... Read More
- 03 June 2019June is Make a Will Month at St Oswald's. Whether you have never had a Will or need to update an exisiting one, our participating local soclicirs can help you plan for the future in a simple and cost-effective way. They will write a Will for you at a reduced rate and donate their full fee back to St Oswald's - meaning you can support the hospice... Read More
- 22 May 2019Every May, with Make a Will Month just around the corner, we tell you why we think you should make a Will. This year, we decided to ask an expert, so got in touch with a solicitor whose firm are taking part in our annual campaign, to find out a little more about the process and why a Will isn’t something you should put off.
Sarah Bowes is an A... Read More
- 07 May 2019Hello! My name is Carole and I would like to talk to you about Wills. Not the most exciting of subjects, I know, but rather than tell you why you should make one, I wanted explain why I did.
Wills are certainly not on the top of anyone’s to do list. I had hit most of life’s main milestones before getting round to it – I’d bought a house, marri... Read More
- 02 May 2019Local company Tyre Spot have chosen to support St Oswald’s Hospice by partnering up with Turkish company Lassa to donate a proportion of the sale of Lassa branded tyres.
Tyre Spot have supported the Hospice since 2017 through a range of fundraising activities from selling our pins and beanies to donating tyres for our company vehicles like the p... Read More
- 25 April 2019Private healthcare providers, My Health Clinic have put their best feet forward by sponsoring St Oswald’s Hospice’s largest ever Great North Run Team!
Not only have the Gosforth-based company, who offer specialist foot, eye and hearing services, sponsored our 2019 team of runners, they have committed to show their support for the next three year... Read More
- 18 April 2019
Last year, I took part in my first Death Café at St Oswald’s, and my assumptions were challenged. First of all the room was full of normal people and there was about 30 people of various ages. There were no ‘death experts’, just the lovely Eileen Ridley, a former palliative care social worker, who talked us through the format of the morning and... Read More
- 11 April 2019St Oswald’s has been named E-Commerce Business of the Year at the Hospice UK Retail Awards in recognition of our innovative eBay store.
The award recognises charity hospice retailers that have launched or expanded their online services and in particular, Hospices that have enjoyed success and growth.
We set up our eBay site in 2015, and it has e... Read More
- 06 March 2019St Oswald’s Hospice, Newcastle upon Tyne, has partnered with Dementia UK to provide a specialist dementia nurse. This new role will enable local services to better support people with dementia and their families during the progression of dementia as well as during the end of life and post bereavement stage.
Maya Gorton will play a significant ro... Read More
- 20 February 2019Our friends from Procter & Gamble in North Tyneside came to visit our Focus on Living Centre with a giant surprise.
With a novelty sized cheque in hand, P&G handed over their first bi-annual donation to St Oswald’s. The staff at the North Tyneside premises had been asked to nominate charities close to their heart to be considered for the... Read More
- 18 February 2019St Oswald’s has today launched their brand new charity bus to coincide with yesterday’s Random Acts of Kindness day after two local bus companies generously supported us.
Ozzie Bus, whose name was chosen by St Oswald’s supporters in an online Facebook poll was gifted to us three years ago by Go North East and since then, St Oswald’s supporters ... Read More
- 15 February 2019Forget about the Grammys, BAFTAs and Golden Globes, we have our own red carpet event, the Life List awards. We held an evening of celebration for some of our incredible supporters to celebrate their fundraising accomplishments throughout 2018.
Our Life List offers people the chance to do something incredible whilst raising money for St Oswald’s.... Read More
- 15 February 2019St Oswald’s Hospice, Newcastle, has opened a brand new specialist charity shop on Shields Road, Byker.
St Oswald’s new ‘3,2,1’ shop located at 4 Shields Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1EJ, opened this morning and complements St Oswald’s two other specialist Kids and Furniture shops located on the same street.
The focus of the new shop is to offer... Read More
- 11 February 2019Team Valley-based Primula have given families who rely on our service a very special gift– a brand new playground!
Primula is part of the Kavli Group, which is fully-owned by the charitable Kavli Trust. St Oswald’s applied to the trust to develop a brand new play area on our Gosforth site. A large outdoor space adjacent to the family lounge wit... Read More
- 01 February 2019We had a brilliant 31 Days but our year of adventure is only just beginning! Our challenges received lots of interest over the month with many of our events filling up. But don’t worry if you missed out, as well as limited spaces left on those events, we also have a whole catalogue of other exciting events and challenges for you choose from. Vis... Read More
- 25 January 2019Suzie Brownlee, Assistant Manager from Wallsend Day Nursery spoke to us about how the day went:
Choice Childcare has been raising money for St Oswald’s in different ways recently through all of our nurseries but I thought this was a bit more exciting. I have a fear of heights so thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get over my fear, and... Read More
- 24 January 2019Nick Armitt, a Newcastle based photographer, has launched a special offer on his prints to help support us here at St Oswald’s Hospice.
Originally from Manchester, Nick first heard about St Oswald’s during our Great North Snowdog Trail in 2016. When a friend starting working here at St Oswald’s, Nick was humbled to hear about the work St Oswald’... Read More
- 22 January 2019A family from Heaton has donated a special gift of a ‘cuddle cot’ which will be used to give families extra time with their loved one after a baby or toddler has died.
Our Children and Young Adults Service provides short breaks for children with life-shortening conditions from across the region, plus support for families. We can also provide car... Read More
- 16 January 2019John Moss, 47 from Bedlington took part in Mad March Mare in 2016 with his son-in-law Dean and friend Michael.
Every year I take part in Total Warrior, it’s a 10 mile muddy assault course and I love it. I’ve done Mad March Mare the past few years too although I know it was disrupted last year due to the snow.
I am taking part in Mad March M... Read More
- 10 January 2019Washington United U10’s took part in Clarty Bairns Obstacle Course in 2018 as a team building activity. Their parents, friends and family took part too creating a real bonding team building activity.
Jaye Jordan, Manager of Washington United U10’s football team:
We like to do a team activity every season which usually doesn’t involved football... Read More
- 07 January 2019Ashley Elliott from Newcastle completed the Clarty Bairns family obstacle course in 2018 for St Oswald’s Hospice with her son Riley. Clarty Bairns, organised by Challenge Northumberland is a mini muddy obstacle course for children – think tough mudder but more fun and aimed at kids. It’s a great way to have fun with the whole family making memor... Read More
- 07 January 2019A St Oswald’s supporter is starting the year with a new set of wheels as the lucky winner of our Annual Raffle. We were delighted to ‘brake’ the good news to Paul Duncan, 50, from Newcastle, that he had won our star prize – a 68-plate Vauxhall Adam car, kindly donated Bristol Street Motors.
Paul’s winning ticket was picked at random by St Oswald... Read More
- 26 December 2018Learning a new skill whilst toning up, could that sound any better? We’re happy to have been chosen as regional charity by Turtle Tots Newcastle & Gateshead starting 2019 off swimmingly.
Turtle Tots offer swimming programmes nationwide, specialising in pre-natal and post-natal fitness, as well as baby and toddler classes. Turtle Tots Newcast... Read More
- 20 December 2018A Christmas shop window designed by two volunteers at St Oswald’s Whickham shop has been judged to be the best Christmas Shop Window display in the area by the Whickham Rotary Club winning St Oswald’s a £100 prize in time for Christmas.
Dawn Wills, Shop Manager at St Oswald’s Whickham Shop, said:
Each year the Whickham Rotary Club holds a Chris... Read More
- 20 December 2018Families who use our bereavement support service were treated to a special night of food and entertainment at Nando’s Silverlink, North Tyneside, earlier this month.
Our Bereavement Support Service, part of our Family Support Team, offers support to people whose friend or family member has been diagnosed with an incurable condition, or after the... Read More
- 19 December 2018The evening of Tuesday 18th December saw our Newcastle Light up a Life service take place at Newcastle’s Metro Arena. Hundreds of supporters came joined in in song, prayer and reflection, in memory of their loved ones and to date, the campaign has raised over £105,000 for St Oswald’s.
The event was brilliantly hosted by our Chaplain Davina Radfo... Read More
- 13 December 2018Local businesses from across the North East recently came together for a two day photoshoot to showcase some of the dresses from our Posh Frocks and Bridal shop in Whitley Bay. The shop sells a wide selection of new and good quality second hand wedding dresses priced at £100 as well as other outfits, accessories, shoes and more.
Local businesswo... Read More
- 26 November 2018We’ve started Christmas in style this year with a record-breaking Christmas Market total! We’d like to say a huge thank you to all of our staff, volunteers, stall holders, and of course, our supporters who visited and donated towards the day. Without you we couldn’t have raised the £18,500 making it a joint record-breaking total!
There was a joy... Read More
- 16 November 2018If writing out cards is more of a nightmare before Christmas than a festive favourite, let us take the stress away and give you a way to show your support of St Oswald’s Hospice. With a little help from the children who use the Hospice for short breaks and respite, we’ve created a beautiful festive card available in a digital and hard copy form... Read More
- 06 November 2018Every child accessing our Children and Young Adults Service has the opportunity to experience music through our trained Music Therapist.
Beverley Rayner is a Nordoff Robins trained Music Therapist and works across the North East, who has worked at St Oswald’s Children and Young Adults Service since September 2017. Beverley said:
As a Music Ther... Read More
- 06 November 2018Associations of Professional Declutters & Organisers (APDO) are running its fifth annual National Organising Week (5th – 11th November 2018) and we are kicking off the de-cluttering season just in time for the mad rush before Christmas. National Organising Week marks the start of a new partnership between APDO member Cath Hindle and St Oswal... Read More
- 12 October 2018We’re thrilled to be announced as winner of the North East Charity of the Year Award 2018 at the North East Charity Awards ceremony last night.
Our Chief Executive, James Ellam, had the honour of accepting the award, he said:
To create something as special as St Oswald’s takes a vast and very supportive community, we have a huge number of volun... Read More
- 11 October 2018When Natalie Thompson, 27 from North Tyneside, lost her Grandfather to cancer in December 2016, she was so overwhelmed with the level of care he received at St Oswald’s that she was determined to give back to them. Natalie, who now works for the charity, speaks about her experience as part of our Hospice Care Week (8th-14th October 2018) activit... Read More
- 11 October 2018We are pleased to be being supported by Sainsbury's, as several stores around the North East come together to raise money for St Oswald's Hospice.
10 staff from the supermarket chain are completing a cycling challenge on Saturday 13th October to raise funds, with the proceeds being split between us and Mind, the mental health charity. Their fund... Read More
- 10 October 2018Three North East female crime writers are being interviewed during a Literacy Fundraiser to raise money for St Oswald’s Hospice.
Rothbury Women’s Institute are holding a Literary Fundraiser on Saturday 27th October at 7pm, at Thropton War Memorial Hall, near Rothbury, Northumberland. The event costs £10 to attend and will include Dr Jacky Colli... Read More
- 10 October 2018This Hospice Care Week (8th - 14th October) Danyl O’Shaughnessy will celebrate his first birthday, despite his parents being told by doctors he would only survive four to six weeks, due to his severe, inoperable heart condition.
Whilst Danyl’s twin brother, Dylan, was born a healthy baby, Danyl has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, a severe hear... Read More
- 09 October 2018This Hospice Care week (8th-14th October) a charity volunteer from Killingworth credits volunteering with helping her to get her life back on track following a tough battle with anxiety and mental health.
Having worked since the age of 15, Iris Anderson retired at 66 after a successful career working as a funeral clerk. Shortly after her retire... Read More
- 08 October 2018This Hospice Care Week we are highlighting our one of a kind services at the heart of the North East.
Today we meet parents of two children living with life-shortening conditions who have spoken about how using our Children’s Hospice has given the whole family a well-earned rest.
Jemma and Aaron Meek from South Tyneside have two children, Call... Read More
- 03 October 2018We’re excited to announce St Oswald’s is taking part in a World Record attempt for the most people to complete a Firewalk consecutively. If you wish to set the Guinness World Record alight, head along to Newcastle Falcons Rugby Club on Tuesday 30th April 2019 to get involved.
We’re inviting the daredevils amongst you to take part in this Firewal... Read More
- 02 October 2018We are excited to be working with our friends at Jesmond Expo again this year on their biennial art exhibition, where some of our patients’ artwork will be shown.
The exhibition takes place on Saturday 6th from 10am – 7pm and Sunday 7th October from 10:30am to 4:30pm, at St George’s Church Hall, Jesmond. Over 200 pictures and handicraft works, ... Read More
- 02 October 2018Our latest issue of Snapshot, our hospice newsletter, is now available and as always, it’s packed full of our latest news, keeping you up to date with new developments here at St Oswald’s.
This issue includes a story about a lady who came to us for bereavement support after the death of her husband, and has taken part in our Christmas Remembera... Read More
- 20 September 2018 long-standing volunteer at St Oswald’s was recognised for her 25 years service at a ceremony at the Alnwick Garden attended by HRH the Prince of Wales.
Sonia Taylor, from Prudhoe in Northumberland, has volunteered with St Oswald’s for 25 years and is currently a volunteer at our Blaydon charity shop. After reading about Sonia’s long service to... Read More
- 10 September 2018What a weekend! Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September saw hundreds of adults and children take to the streets of our region in their St Oswald's t shirts and vests to represent the hospice in the Mini, Junior and Great North Run events. We were humbled and overwhelmed with the support from people of all ages and abilities who gave it everything ... Read More
- 05 September 2018A group of friends named ‘Alfie’s Angels’ are to run the Great North Run this year to raise money for the Hospice after receiving invaluable support from the Bereavement Team.
Active supporter Beth Iveson, 28, from Houghton-le-Spring, has signed up to complete the 13.1 mile challenge with 7 of her closest friends in aid of St Oswald’s as a way ... Read More
- 04 September 2018Avid supporters of the Hospice, Paul Donaghy and his Daughter Lauren have vowed to run the Great North Run this year to raise money for us in memory of their mother and grandma.
Paul Donaghy, 50 from Durham decided for his 50th birthday he wanted to complete an A-Z of challenges to raise money for the hospice as we cared for his mum over 30 yea... Read More
- 31 August 2018A man being who is being treated at St Oswald's is walking the Great North Run in aid of the charity along with the nurse who supported him through a leg amputation.
Bruce Smith, 53 from Birtley, is undertaking a personal challenge to complete the Great North Run to raise money for St Oswald's Hospice as a way to give something back for the car... Read More
- 29 August 2018St Oswald’s has been joined by a team of young volunteers over the summer after teaming up with North East charity Headliners as part of the National Citizen Service scheme.
The NCS (National Citizen Service) scheme is open to 15-17 year olds and gives youngsters the chance to develop key skills, offering them the opportunity to build their con... Read More
- 29 August 2018At St Oswald’s we know that it’s often not just the patient who needs support, but the whole family. Our Family Support Team, made up of Bereavement Support Workers and Social Workers, provides support when families need it most.
We met Beth Iveson and her son Alfie, aged 9, last year after Alfie’s Dad was diagnosed with incurable cancer. Alfie... Read More
- 28 August 2018We are thrilled to have been chosen as charity beneficiary for Tynemouth Beer Festival this year, taking part from the 6th - 8th of September at Tynemouth Cricket Club in North Shields.
Beer and cider fans will have plenty to choose from as the festival is offering a choice of 50 beers and 20 ciders, with a percentage of the profits being donat... Read More
- 24 August 2018
My name is Val Forster and I am the Inpatient Unit Manager here at St Oswald’s Hospice. I hope you enjoyed the lovely weather we were blessed with this summer. I’m sure you’ll agree that being outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air does a world of good for your wellbeing, and the same can be said of the patients and their families a... Read More
- 13 August 2018Local supporters recently got muddy to help raise some funds for St Oswald's. Teaming up with Challenge Northumberland, we booked out the last slot in their Clarty Bairns family obstacle course on Sunday 12th August. The event, which was held at Broomley Grange in West Northumberland, saw 65 of our runners take part.
The runners took part in a ... Read More
- 30 July 2018We are so excited to launch our very own Fantasy Football League for the upcoming Premiership season – and it seems we aren’t the only ones! Stars from the world of music have shown their support to our brand new ‘Charity Fantasy Football’ campaign by choosing their own dream teams, and they didn’t let the fact many of their players aren’t footb... Read More
- 26 July 2018A dad whose child uses our Children and Young Adult Service is using his passion for fitness to fundraise for us.
Stephen Pape, who owns Discover Fitness is organising a five week beach bootcamp at Cullercoats beach to raise money for the Hospice and help people to get fit over summer.
Stephen's daughter Sophie, aged 9, comes to us for short ... Read More
- 17 July 2018St Oswald’s therapy dog, Maida, has become the first therapy pet volunteer to receive a Long Service Award at St Oswald’s Hospice, based in Gosforth.
The Long Service Awards were held during Volunteers’ Week in the Hospice and celebrated achievements of staff and volunteers who have been at the Hospice for between five and thirty years.
Maida,... Read More
- 13 July 2018Have you 'herd' the latest news? Elmer's Great North Parade is coming to Tyne and Wear in August 2019 - in support of St Oswald's Children's Hospice!
In 2016, our region was taken over by a pack of Great North Snowdogs, attracting over 670,000 visitors and bringing £16.5m to the local economy.
Together, with Wild in Art and Andersen Press, we're... Read More
- 13 July 2018At St Oswald’s we care, campaign and educate.
Educating our staff and volunteers, and others, has been a huge part of our vision since day one and we continue to strive for excellence for the benefit of our patients.
To ensure our staff are specialists in all they do, we have over 30 link practitioners in our Children and Young Adults Service.... Read More
- 13 July 2018Supporting the people we care for to make memories is a big part of what we do.
We regularly go out on trips and have a young adults social group that meets monthly. The group brings young adults together, offers peer support and is a lot of fun! We’ve recently enjoyed fishing trips, a trip to Battlezone Laser and pizza making at Jamie’s Italia... Read More
- 12 July 2018As our Children and Young Adults Service turns 15 we wanted to introduce you to some of our amazing staff. Without them we wouldn’t be able to provide the services we do to so many North East families.
Diane Nicholson, Team Leader, has been a member of the team since we first opened our doors back in 2003. Diane tells us more:
What is your rol... Read More
- 11 July 2018We are delighted to announce that Better leisure centres in Newcastle have sponsored our 2018 Junior and Mini Great North Run team.
The ever popular run takes place on Saturday 8th and Team St Oswald’s has a massive 455 boys and girls aged between 3-16 who will run the course through Newcastle and Gateshead’s iconic Quayside. Better have sponso... Read More
- 10 July 2018As our Children and Young Adults Service turns 15 we wanted to introduce you to one of our amazing volunteers. Volunteers are a huge part of the Hospice team and we couldn’t provide the outstanding care and support to North East families without them.
David Barlow has been a member of the team since we first opened our doors back in 2003. David... Read More
- 10 July 2018It’s been a football crazy weekend but boy, have we loved it. The third annual Pavel Cup took part this Sunday the 8th July in remembrance of Newcastle United goalkeeper, Pavel Srnicek and raised an incredible £3500. The day saw the Newcastle Legends squad take on celebrities in a charity football match to raise money for St Oswald’s, a charity ... Read More
- 06 July 2018In 2012 our short break service extended to care for young adults aged 18-25. Previously we had cared for children up to the age of 18. This has led us to campaign for better health and social care for children who are transitioning in to adulthood.
That same year we published a report called 'Living longer than you thought I would' with suppor... Read More
- 04 July 2018
Yesterday we held a cupcake bake off to celebrate our Children’s Service 15th birthday.
Lots of staff and volunteers donned their aprons and baked some incredible treats, here’s a sample of what was on offer! Thank you to everyone involved, especially our esteemed judges including Princess Cupcake Keira, one of the children who com... Read More
- 03 July 2018Today (3rd July) marks 15 years since we officially opened our doors and cared for our first child in our Children’s Service.
It has been a huge journey for us and something we could have never achieved without the support of our local community. The people of the North East placed St Oswald's in their hearts and have kept us there. As a charit... Read More
- 03 July 2018Our third Lantern Walk took place on Saturday 30th June at the Rising Sun Country Park, with over 300 walkers turning out to remember their loved ones with us.
Our walkers took part in a 5K trail around the country park, carrying lanterns to light the way as the sun set. Our merchandise stall proved to be very popular, with walkers sporting fla... Read More
- 27 June 2018St Oswald’s has triumphed at the 2018 Charity Retail Awards by bagging the Innovation and Technology in Charity Retail award for our Shop Takeover scheme.
The scheme, which invites businesses to ‘takeover’ one of our 25 regional shops for the day, was originally inspired by a one-off corporate enterprise challenge which aimed to raise as much m... Read More
- 20 June 2018Our Dunston Shop have outdone themselves this year by revealing a very black and white football themed shop window.
It’s that time of year again where Newcastle Legends and celebrities get together to play a football match in memory of Newcastle Goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek. Pavel died suddenly in December 2015 and in order to remember and honour ... Read More
- 13 June 2018Patients and families who we care and support often tell us that coming to the Hospice gives them a sense of purpose.
Within our Focus on Living Centre patients have the opportunity to spend time with us during the day and take part in short courses, often making friendships and learning new skills.
Clive Rutter, 83 from Birtley, Gateshead cam... Read More
- 11 June 2018Alice Narcross, a 26 year old fashion and lifestyle blogger from Shiremoor, began volunteering in St Oswald’s Shiremoor charity shop in 2014. After impressing the charity with her work ethic and proactive attitude, Alice was swiftly mentored and then promoted to become an Assistant Shop Manager at St Oswald’s specialist boutique shop in Jesmond.... Read More
- 11 June 2018Alasdair Park started volunteering in St Oswald’s Hospice shops four years ago as part of a six-month work placement scheme via his local job centre, and after being hired as an Assistant Manager at St Oswald’s Sunderland shop, he has never looked back.
Despite having been unemployed for more than 15 years due to personal circumstances, Alasdai... Read More
- 11 June 2018St Oswald’s is launching a special retail volunteer recruitment campaign to promote the range of volunteering opportunities we have throughout our 26 regional charity shops and a local Morpeth lady is supporting our campaign.
When Katy Barr from Morpeth left her busy and demanding role as a Sister on the Cardiothoracic Unit at the Freeman Hospi... Read More
- 11 June 2018A St Oswald’s trustee with a passion for retail explains how volunteering can boost career progression.
Marie Liston, Corporate Services Director at SCS and Vice-Chair at St Oswald’s, has extensive experience in the retail sector and Marie speaks passionately about the many benefits of volunteering and how the skills lend themselves to the worl... Read More
- 11 June 2018Our latest issue of Snapshot, our hospice newsletter, is now available and as always, it’s packed full of our latest news, keeping you up to date with new developments here at St Oswald’s.
You'll hear all about out Children's Service 15th birthday celebrations, read an update about changes to our Day Services and find out about improvements we'... Read More
- 08 June 2018The heat is on for 3 brave men who have decided to take on the upcoming ‘Benidorm or Bust’ challenge as an opportunity to raise funds for St Oswald’s Hospice!
The task is a 1400 mile driving challenge that takes place from the 13th - 16th of June, which aims to not only challenge individuals on their navigational skills, but to also be an avenu... Read More
- 07 June 2018We get a lot of special visitors come to see us at the Hospice and today was no exception. The lovely Smurf came to strut his stuff and play with the children in our Children’s Hospice.
Smurf, a 29 year old Therapy Pony, has been part of the family at Mini Pony Hire for over 25 years. He visits care homes and schools and is so clever he can eve... Read More
- 06 June 2018Mike and Barbara Nye from Low Fell, Gateshead, recently celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in style by giving back to a local charity close to their hearts – St Oswald’s!
The generous couple bought the Hospice an advertising plaque at their local bowling club and asked friends to make a donation in their name as part of their recent an... Read More
- 05 June 2018Sometimes you just can’t beat a good cuppa. Here at St Oswald’s we understand that tea and a chat can be the best medicine to cheer anyone up. We are so excited to announce we now have our very own tea blend! The incredible team from The Tea Enthusiasts have put together a new blend of tea with 100% of the profits coming directly to St Oswald’s.... Read More
- 30 May 2018Can you imagine cycling from London to Paris against a backdrop of some of the world’s most picturesque, historical and mesmerizing locations and landscapes, all whilst raising money for St Oswald’s? Well that’s exactly what 12 of our incredible supporters have done.
The London to Paris cycle challenge has just finished and our supporters have ... Read More
- 25 May 2018What a week, our Big Bake campaign kicked off to celebrate the Royal Wedding and boy, did we celebrate?
We aimed to bring communities, friends and family together using Big Bakea a chance to meet and socialise with new people. The Royal Wedding was a perfect excuse to swap our chef’s hat for a crown and our aprons for an outfit fit for royalty.... Read More
- 24 May 2018Its 15 years since we opened the doors to our Children’s Hospice and we’re kicking off celebrations this #ChildrensHospiceWeek!
One child who we have supported for the last eight years is Gracie Watchorn. Gracie, aged 8 from Gateshead, has been coming to us for short breaks since she was 8 weeks old.
Gracie had encephalitis following a virus a... Read More
- 18 May 2018Come and join us for a dead good chat at our first death café this Saturday (2nd June).
At a death café, people are encouraged to have open conversations about death and dying, eat cake and drink tea in a supportive environment.
We are holding a death café as an opportunity for members of the public to have more open conversations about death.... Read More
- 11 May 2018St Oswald’s charity shop on Sunderland High Street has recently slashed prices with all of their clothing items being priced at £3, £2 or even as low as £1.
St Oswald’s is enjoying a year of birthday celebrations throughout 2018 as we celebrate 15 years of our Children and Young Adults service, whilst the Sunderland shop has recently enjoyed i... Read More
- 09 May 2018A couple with a special connection to us selflessly asked their wedding guests to donate money to the Hospice in lieu of gifts on their big day.
Jill and Michael Kelly, from Newcastle, tied the knot after 27 years together. Instead of asking for wedding gifts, the couple asked for donations to us after Jill’s mum, Louise Baker, was cared for on... Read More
- 03 May 2018On Saturday 14th April, 40 of our wonderful supporters completed a zip wire challenge off the Tyne Bridge on NewcastleGateshead Quayside.
Supporters got behind the challenge and have so far managed to raise an impressive £7665 for St Oswald’s, with donations still coming in. Staff members, volunteers and supporters really got involved in the da... Read More
- 02 May 2018We’re bursting at the seams with excitement at news of a brilliant donation from our friends at Bazaar Group.
Bazaar Group has supported the Hospice since August 2016 as a member of our Business Club and have donated £4,428 to date.
Their most recent gift is a range of bean bags from their BeanBagBazaar website. We have proudly placed these in... Read More
- 01 May 2018Ellen Law, 17 from Wallsend, Newcastle has been using our short break service for 10 years.
Ellen has a rare condition that affects her muscles called Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 2. She’s currently doing her A Levels and hopes to go on to study a Maths based subject at university. She tells us more:
“Because of my condition, I am in an electr... Read More
- 01 May 2018Donna Boyd, 21 from North Tyneside, has been using St Oswald’s short break service for 8 years. Donna has a neuromuscular condition and epilepsy, which means she needs 24/7 care
We spoke to her mum, Fiona, who tells us a bit more about Donna and how they both benefit from the support of St Oswald’s. She said:
“Donna is a 21 year old fun, happy... Read More
- 01 May 2018As our Children and Young Adults Service turns 15 we wanted to introduce you to some of our amazing staff. Without them we wouldn’t be able to provide the services we do to so many North East families.
Patrick Humble, St Oswald’s Care Support Worker from Killingworth in North Tyneside, has been a member of the team since we first opened our doo... Read More
- 26 April 2018We’re thrilled to announce the support of Love Dunston Live, a brand new family-friendly music festival organised by Newcastle Legends, taking place at Dunston UTS Football Club on Saturday 12th May.
Music fans are in for a treat with Happy Mondays stars Bez and Rowetta topping the bill, supported by a wide range of local talent including The W... Read More
- 25 April 2018St Oswald's desperately needs new volunteers to fill crucial volunteering vacancies at our Central Sorting Centre in Walkergate, Newcastle and in our Warehouse on the Airport Industrial Estate, Kingston Park.
The Central Sorting Centre is responsible for organising and distributing all donated stock to our 26 charity shops located across the No... Read More
- 24 April 2018The Midlands may have taken the trophy but St Oswald’s Hospice was the big winner in the 2018 North East Property Rugby Festival.
The festival was organised by local property consultancies, Knight Frank, GVA, Silverstone Building Consultancy and Lambert Smith Hampton and was held at Northern Rugby Club in Gosforth. The day was a massive sucess ... Read More
- 20 April 2018We're very lucky to have hundreds of young people who spend their free time volunteering in our inpatient ward, our charity shops and with fundraising activities. They are invaluable to the Hospice, as they support us, both directly and indirectly, to improve the life of local people who need Hospice care.
Last week, St Oswald’s Hospice receive... Read More
- 12 April 2018A supporter with a special connection to us has organised a sponsored walk say thank you for caring for her mum.
Amber Roberts, from Newcastle, completed the walk in memory of her mum Julie, who was cared for at the Hospice last year. Julie used our day hospice and inpatient unit service last year after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Amber... Read More
- 27 March 2018Following a surge in popularity, specialist St Oswald's charity shop, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice, which specialises in transforming donated stock into unique upcycled furniture and homewares, is expanding their current workshop programme with a selection of new dates and additional courses.
The popular charity shop first launched a series... Read More
- 07 March 2018Local Snowdog loving Residential Estate Agents, Sarah Mains has teamed up with us in a new charity partnership.
Sarah Mains has showed its support for St Oswald’s back in December 2016 when the company bought two Snowdog sculptures which were part of our 2016 Great North Snowdogs art trail. Their Whickham branch currently has the Snowdogs displ... Read More
- 07 March 2018Today we meet another inspirational lymphoedema patient, *Peter.
Peter, 32 from Whitley Bay, had been living with undiagnosed lymphoedema in his legs for years, and like many others, believing that his legs were simply ‘fat’. After developing a leg infection, he was rushed to A&E, where he was diagnosed with lymphoedema and referred to our ... Read More
- 06 March 2018During International Lymphoedema Awareness (4th-10th March),we’re sharing with you some stories of our many inspirational lymphoedema patients.
Molly Cuthbert, aged 21 from Stocksfield, Northumberland, was born lymphoedema. She has been coming to our Lymphoedema Clinic since she was 9 years old.
Despite having lymphoedema in her left leg, rig... Read More
- 22 February 2018St Oswald’s Hospice is supporting National Student Volunteer Week, which runs from 19th – 25th of February, by saying a huge thank you to all of the student volunteers, and encouraging others who may be interested to get involved. It’s also an opportunity to celebrate those who have found volunteering at St Oswald’s to be a springboard for succe... Read More
- 16 February 2018St Oswald’s innovative ‘Buy the Bag’ shop is moving to a new venue to accommodate the charity’s growing retail sector.
The shop, based in the heart of Newcastle city centre, is currently treating its customers to a generous closing down sale to sell off their surplus stock ahead of the shop move on Tuesday 20th February.
The store serves a dua... Read More
- 13 February 2018Two patients who are supported by our Lymphoedema Service fell in love after meeting through a dedicated support group.
Matthew and Claire Phillips, 37 and 33, who are now married, first struck up conversation on the online lymphoedema support group, UK Lymph Support in 2007.
At the time, the two were living at opposite ends of the country, wi... Read More
- 12 February 2018It was an evening of celebration for some of our incredible supporters at our Life List Awards on Thursday 8th February.
Supporters were invited to the Crown Plaza Hotel in Newcastle to a ceremony hosted by our Hospice Chaplain, Davina Radford, to celebrate the fundraising accomplishments of our supporters throughout 2017.
After thanking every... Read More
- 02 February 2018A Hospice patient with a rare neurological condition receives complementary therapy treatments to help relieve pain caused by his condition.
Alan Burke and wife Jan, from Whitley Bay, have both received complementary therapy. Alan has a rare neurological condition called familial amyloid polyneuropathy and comes to the Hospice for massages to r... Read More
- 29 January 2018Our Life List adventures are a huge part of many of our supporter’s lives. Once you’ve completed one you get that adrenalin rush and want to do more. That’s exactly what has happened to Danielle and Darren, who have completed over 15 challenges between them.
We caught up with them both to find out what motivates them to do complete so many Life... Read More
- 25 January 2018The Three Peaks Challenge is the ultimate against the clock agility challenge. Climbing the three highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales in 24 hours is something many people strive to achieve.
Chef Dave Taylor, 51, is one of the brave adventurers who has taken on this mammoth challenge. He tells us more:
The year I turned 40, I decided... Read More
- 22 January 2018Are you struggling to think of new fundraising ideas? Meet Asima Riaz, a Medical Scientist from Newcastle, who will blow you away with how she is raising money for her Sahara Trek.
Asima jumped on our 31 Days of Adventure campaign and signed up to arguably one of the toughest on the list – the Sahara Trek. She’ll be trekking through blistering ... Read More
- 15 January 2018St Oswald’s Hospice’s Life List challenges are once-in-a-lifetime experiences that range from cycling to mountain climbing. Whilst many of our Life List participants take on a challenge to smash their own personal goals, many more choose to sign up in groups for that extra motivation and for team support. Whether you’re a group of friends, relat... Read More
- 09 January 2018Our 31 Days of Adventure campaign is in full swing and with over 20 people signing up in the last week to take on a Life List Challenge in 2018, we thought we’d speak to a few people who have decided to make their year memorable.
Steve Earl, 55 from Ashington is an avid walker and supporter of St Oswald’s. Walking miles each day, Steve’s job as... Read More
- 04 January 2018Sue Hayes, 69 from Gateshead, has signed up for one of our Platinum Life List challenges, the Sahara Trek. We caught up with Sue to find out why she signed up to take part in such an epic challenge.
I may be 69 but that’s not going to stop me from living my life. As my husband always said ‘you need to keep going, keep doing what you’ve always... Read More
- 29 December 2017With 2018 quickly heading our way, it’s the time of year we all think about what we want to do differently over the next 12 months. Whether it’s signing up to gym memberships or getting around to that hobby you have always wanted to try.
Our specialist upcycling shop, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice, which you’ll find tucked away on the ground... Read More
- 22 December 2017Owners at a Northumberland holiday park showed they have hearts of gold by helping to raise £3209.04 for St Oswald’s.
Caravan owners and staff at the beachfront Golden Sands Holiday Park in Cresswell have adopted us as their charity of choice and recently presented a lovely cheque to us following a series of fundraising efforts.
Golden Sands H... Read More
- 20 December 2017Our 2017 Annual Raffle was a huge success, raising over £40,000 for St Oswald’s. Thank you to everyone who bought a ticket – we wish you could all have won!
We had three lucky winners, who received some fantastic prizes, thanks to very kind donations from our friends at Bristol Street Motors, The Biscuit Factory and intu Eldon Square. Here, we... Read More
- 19 December 2017A local charity, created in memory of a Whitley Bay boy has donated almost £18,000 to St Oswald’s since it was set up in 2014.
The Good Will Cause was founded by the Woods family in memory of their son, Will, who died suddenly in June 2014 from Burkitt Lymphoma, a rare form of cancer, aged just 5.
Will’s family were supported after his death b... Read More
- 13 December 2017The evening of Tuesday 11th December saw our Newcastle Light up a Life service take place at Newcastle’s Metro Arena. Hundreds of supporters came joined in in song, prayer and reflection, in memory of their loved ones and to date, the campaign has raised over £95,000 for St Oswald’s.
The event was brilliantly hosted by our Chaplain Davina Radfo... Read More
- 12 December 2017
A North East writer and theatre maker has put her artistic streak into practice, by working with a team of staff and volunteers to design the annual Christmas Window display at St Oswald’s Dunston Furniture Shop.
Becci Sharrock, who was previously the Writer in Residence at Beamish Museum, was keen to put her creative skills to the test. As a... Read More
- 11 December 2017Rachel Maughan, 42, from Bishop Auckland will be thinking of a very special person this Christmas; her partner Steve, who died aged 33 in 2009. Rachel has chosen to honour Steve’s memory by taking part in Light up a Life in support of St Oswald’s.
Rachel and her two children, Nathan, 15 and Finlay, 10 will be making a donation to the Hospice in... Read More
- 07 December 2017Tracey Reynolds, 50 from Heaton is taking part in Light up a Life for the first time this year. She has decided to dedicate a life in memory of her mother, Pauline Holmes who died two years ago.
Tracey volunteers several days every week at the St Oswald’s charity shop on Bedford Street, North Shields. Its through her volunteering that Tracey le... Read More
- 07 December 2017Carys Evans, 8 and her sister Gwen, 4, from Bedlington will switch on the lights of our 25ft Christmas Tree at our Newcastle Light up a Life remembrance service at the Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle on Tuesday 12th December.
The girls and their father, Aled Evans, are remembering their mother and wife, Emma, who had sarcoma, a rare group of cance... Read More
- 06 December 2017It’s been a long journey for our supporters at Wellburn Care Homes, but over the 30 days of November they’ve managed to raise an impressive £4,500! Our friends at Wellburn Care Homes have been celebrating their 30 year anniversary this year by travelling the region on a fundraising road trip with a difference.
Kicking off their 30 days on the r... Read More
- 05 December 2017Alan Arthur, from Newcastle, is taking part in Light up a Life this year to remember his wife of almost half a decade, Pat, who was 74 when she died at St Oswald’s.
The Hospice has been a place of familiarity for the family, as Pat’s brother-in-law, John, had used their Day Hospice services before being admitted to our Adult Inpatient Ward for ... Read More
- 04 December 2017At the Hospice we have lots of interesting patients from different walks of life, one of them is called Audrey who has lived in several countries and spent her life fundraising and giving back to local communities. Audrey Brammer from Cullercoats and she is one of our Day Hospice patients who comes to our Focus On Living Centre every Thursday. O... Read More
- 29 November 2017The countdown to Christmas is on and with only three weeks to go, it will be here before we know it!
But don’t stress over stocking fillers and Secret Santa surprises, because with help from our upcycling boutique, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice, you can get crafty with your present-buying this Christmas.
Customers at our unique store can no... Read More
- 27 November 2017We hope you’re all feeling festive now, over 1,600 of you turned out to support our annual Christmas Market on Saturday 25th November. This year the market was a huge success this year and we raised a huge £17,500 from the day.
We were delighted to welcome the pantomime cast of Snow White from the Tyne Theatre Company who officially opened th... Read More
- 26 November 2017St Oswald’s Dunston furniture shop is preparing to unveil a spectacular scene as part of its annual Christmas window showcase, thanks to help from local writer and theatre maker Becci Sharrock.
The shop’s highly anticipated window display has become a locally-renowned festive tradition within the close-knit Dunston community, attracting the mas... Read More
- 21 November 2017Staff from Sage Gosforth, have set a new record during one of our shop takeovers, raising a mammoth £2613.29 in one day at our Gosforth shop on Friday 17th November.
St Oswald’s Shop Takeover Challenge puts teams of colleagues from businesses across the region through their paces by allowing them to ‘takeover’ one of their 27 region-wide charit... Read More
- 21 November 2017Despite only two-thirds of his ticker functioning after suffering a heart attack, John Mallabone remains as big-hearted as ever, spending the last four years volunteering for the Hospice as a van driver’s assistant.
Now the married 65-year-old is calling out to others looking for a new adventure to consider the possibilities the role can bring.... Read More
- 17 November 2017A couple from Fenham, Newcastle, drove in the fast lane this summer as they completed a mammoth motoring challenge which raised over £2,000 for St Oswald’s.
Husband and wife team Clive and Sally Harding took part in the Mongol Rally, an adventure challenge which requires participants to buy a 1 litre engine car and travel 10,000 miles across Eu... Read More
- 15 November 2017St Oswald’s Hospice retail team is hosting a special recruitment drop-in event to promote a series of new opportunities. Next Wednesday, staff and volunteers from across our retail sector will be inviting members of the public to the Hospice to learn about the huge benefits of working with us, including not having to work over the festive period... Read More
- 14 November 2017St Oswald’s is celebrating National Trustees’ Week, which runs from the 13th-17th November, by asking for more Trustees to join our expanding team.
With over a million Trustees in the UK supporting over 194,000 charities, Trustees govern charities and ensure that their objectives, strategic aims and overall direction are established and met. St... Read More
- 10 November 2017We’ve brought our Big Bake back with a festive twist this winter and invite you all to bake up a storm by hosting your own seasonal themed bake sale, coffee morning or afternoon tea for friends, family or place of work.
This is exactly what nine Weight Watchers groups around Newcastle and Northumberland did this week. Each of the groups have be... Read More
- 08 November 2017Ewan, 18, from South Tyneside, has been coming to our Children’s Hospice for the past seven years for short breaks.
He loves to bake - so he and Care Support Worker Adam are supporting this year'sBig Bake at Christmas by baking a 'Minta Wonderland' cake (their own original recipe!) and sharing it with staff, patients, family and friends.
Are y... Read More
- 06 November 2017It’s that time of year again where Christmas starts to creep around the corner. If you’re as excited as us then why not join us for our Annual Christmas Market on Saturday 25th November 11am-3pm.
We’ve really outdone ourselves this year and it’s set to be bigger and better than ever before! We’ve put a call in and Santa has taken some time out ... Read More
- 03 November 2017A man from Newcastle has set off on the challenge of a lifetime – motorcycling across Vietnam in aid of St Oswald’s.
Umar Yusufu had always wanted to visit Vietnam after being interested in the country’s rich cultural history and after his friend died at St Oswald’s, he thought it would be an appropriate way to honour his late friend’s memory.
... Read More
- 02 November 2017Local company Tyre Spot have teamed up with tyre manufacturer Firestone to create a new charity partnership with St Oswald’s.
Johnathon Shaw, Company Director and Nick Singleton, Business Development Manager from Tyre Spot popped over to see us on Thursday at the Hospice bringing their shiny branded car along for the ride.
Throughout Novembe... Read More
- 01 November 2017St Oswald’s are on the lookout for new volunteer hairdressers to pamper their patients.
Day Hospice Services at St Oswald’s are open three days a week and offer daytime support and nursing care to patients with incurable conditions. There are a range of activities on offer to the patients during the day including; arts and crafts, relaxation se... Read More
- 24 October 2017This year St Oswald’s Hospice celebrates 30 years of providing specialist care for the North East community. To commemorate this milestone, Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra visited St Oswald’s to meet with patients, staff, volunteers and families.
HRH Princess Alexandra was accompanied by the Lord-Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear, Mrs Susan... Read More
- 12 October 2017As well as providing end of life care, our services support people to manage their condition and live as full a life as possible. This includes our Lymphoedema Clinic, which is recognised as a national centre of excellence for lymphoedema management.
Lymphoedema, a condition recognised by chronic swelling, might be more common than you think. I... Read More
- 11 October 2017Our Autumn/Winter issue of Snapshot, our hospice newsletter, is now available and as always, it’s packed full of our latest news, keeping you up to date with new developments here at St Oswald’s.
We meet a supporter who remembers her husband though our Light up a Life remembrance campaign, bust some myths about hospice care and look at the rang... Read More
- 11 October 2017Every year thousands of people - not just those with a connection to the Hospice – remember a loved one by taking part in our annual remembrance campaign, Light up a Life.
For a donation towards our work, you can join this special campaign and dedicate a light in memory of a loved one on our giant Christmas tree, which will be displayed at our ... Read More
- 10 October 2017Due to volunteer shortage, our Gateshead shop will be closed every Monday this October. We desperately need volunteers to help us, to ensure our shops can be open throughout the week.
Could you, or someone you know, help us out? Volunteering with St Oswald's Hospice is the opportunity to try something new, make friends and do your bit for a fa... Read More
- 09 October 2017This week (9th – 15th October) is Hospice Care Week and we will be highlighting the many varied services we provide and dispelling myths about hospice care.
It might surprise you that although our Inpatient Unit provides end of life care, almost half (47%) of patients accessing the service go home. Many patients come to us for pain and symptom ... Read More
- 06 October 2017Next week (9th-15th October) we are joining forces with six other hospices in the North East to celebrate the many and varied services providing hospice care, as part of Hospice Care Week.
The theme for this year’s Hospice Care Week is “we are hospice care”, which is an opportunity to show the breadth of hospice care services and dispel myths a... Read More
- 06 October 2017Ferry operator DFDS is showing its support for St. Oswald’s by donating 100 per cent of the proceeds from special charity mini cruises to Amsterdam this Autumn and Winter.
Customers can choose whether to donate £35, £45 or £55 per person in return for their mini cruise ticket. The ticket includes two nights in an en suite cabin, a variety of on... Read More
- 04 October 2017Rackstar Ltd, an IT service outsourcing company, recently held a charity day in aid of St Oswald’s. A company which boasts 65 apprentices, Rackstar Ltd ensured the day was guaranteed to be full of food, laughter and waxing. After raising an impressive £468, we caught up with some of the team to find out how the day went.
Catherine Littlewood, L... Read More
- 03 October 2017Our popular Gateshead charity shop is giving local families the chance to get Christmas all wrapped up with its new Win Our Window competition.
Launched this week (2 October 2017) and running until 28 October, the competition is just £1 to enter with one lucky winner set to take away the fantastic prize of over 60 new and preloved gifts.
Enter... Read More
- 02 October 2017Henry Colbeck, the oldest independent supplier to the Fish and Chip market in the North East, held their Fish and Chip Race Night in aid of St Oswald’s, raising an impressive £1817.65.
Henry Colbeck put on a race night at the local racecourse every few years as a thank you to their customers and their suppliers. The evening is renowned for bei... Read More
- 28 September 2017intu Eldon Square and intu Metrocentre have bagged £20,000 for St Oswald’s Hospice in Newcastle as part of their Charity of the Year partnership.
For the past twelve months the North East shopping centres have been busy with a whole host of fundraising initiatives including; Puggy Banks in each shopping centre, being the official sponsor for th... Read More
- 27 September 2017Discarded toy dinosaur limbs, brass instruments and scrap fabric might sound like the forgotten contents of a typical loft, but for our concept charity shop, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice, one man's rubbish really is another man's treasure as it celebrates its first year of literally ‘making’ a difference to local people's lives.
Since openi... Read More
- 26 September 2017Our friends over at Cintra HR & Payroll have organised their annual pub quiz in aid of St Oswald’s. Do you think you’ve got what it takes to win some of the amazing prizes on offer? Why not join us at the City Tavern in Newcastle on Wednesday 18th October for a night filled of fun and laughter whilst battling it out to be the ultimate quiz c... Read More
- 14 September 2017Jenny Booth, a Volunteer Hairdresser at St Oswald’s, spoke to us for this week’s #VolunteerHour about the positive impact volunteering has had on her life.
Jenny told us:
As a busy single mum and a self-employed hairdresser, I was concerned that I wouldn’t have time to volunteer but I soon found that sparing just two hours a week was enough ... Read More
- 06 September 2017A lab solutions company based in Newcastle has turned running into a team sport, by entering ten colleagues into this year’s Great North Run.
Leica Biosystems, based in Newcastle encouraged their staff to show their support for St Oswald’s by sporting a blue and pink vest and taking on the world famous half marathon to raise funds.
Bartosz Bal... Read More
- 31 August 2017A charity seven-a-side football tournament held in aid of ex-Whitley Bay footballer Mark Taylor, St Oswald’s Hospice and the MND Association (MNDA) took place last week and raised over £4000.
Taking place at Monkseaton High School, the fifth annual ‘United for Mark’ event attracted over 250 local players.
The tournament, which has grown year... Read More
- 30 August 2017Victoria Morrell, 30 from Washington, Tyne and Wear has chosen to take on the Great North Run this year for St Oswald’s. Her determination to get into running has motivated Victoria to change her lifestyle, while raising vital funds towards our work.
Victoria was aware that exercise can improve physical and emotional wellbeing, so after a perio... Read More
- 30 August 2017A young St Oswald’s supporter is taking part in the Mini Great North Run on September 9th after he receved specialist support at the Hospice following the death of his dad.
Alfie Matfin, aged 8 from Houghton Le Spring has received support from the Hospice’s bereavement team since his dad Richard 33 from Blyth died in June 2017 after a year long... Read More
- 30 August 2017Lindsay Marshall from Whickham is taking on this year’s Great North Run for the first time in aid of St Oswald’s, in memory of her mother, Maureen Dews, who worked at the Hospice. Lindsay said:
“My mam died two years ago so I decided to set myself a challenge and run the Great North Run in her memory, for the place that was such a big part o... Read More
- 25 August 2017Our hospice chefs have been cooking up a storm for patients, staff and volunteers, thanks to a generous donation from the Mark Benevolent Fund (MBF).
We applied for a grant from the MBF, a Freemason charity, to fully refurbish their aging kitchen, which has not been upgraded fully in the thirty years that the hospice has been open. Our team ... Read More
- 24 August 2017Supporters of St Oswald's will be sporting their best onesies on Sunday 27th August as an award-winning North East holiday park throws open its doors for a world record fundraiser to support the Hospice.
Golden Sands Holiday Park on Beach Road in Cresswell, has set its sights on not only smashing the Guinness World Record for the largest gathe... Read More
- 21 August 2017A dad of one of the children who benefits from our Children and Young Adults short break service has been using his passion for fitness to fundraise for us.
Stephen Pape organised a beach boot camp to raise money to thank us for caring for his daughter Sophie, aged 8, who we care for every month. He even went as far as doing other people’s burp... Read More
- 16 August 2017A couple from Wooler and Hexham, Northumberland, who found love under the Northern Lights during a fundraising trek for St Oswald’s, have raised over £1,430 for the Hospice at their wedding.
Richard and Julie Waters first met back in 2014 on one of our Life List challenges - an Icelandic fundraising trek for St Oswald’s. The couple endured sub-... Read More
- 14 August 2017Our friends at Northern Bear are celebrating after raising £6,000 for St Oswald’s in their latest golfing challenge, bringing the company’s overall fundraising total in excess of £20,000!
Northern Bear, who chose St Oswald’s as their ‘charity of choice’ last year, rallied their staff and clients to battle the elements in their latest fundraisin... Read More
- 13 August 2017Juliette Taylor, a schoolgirl from Ponteland who was recently named St Oswald’s Young Fundraiser of the Year, has been crowned Royal International Miss, International Role Model at the Royal International Miss American Pageant held in America.
Juliette was guaranteed a place in the international contest after winning the Junior Teen category in... Read More
- 11 August 2017It's hard to believe that it was four weeks today since Clive & Sally harding departed Newcastle to embark on the Mongol Rally Challenge in support of St Oswald's.
We've been bringing you regular updates since they departed, and this week Sally spoke to us about some of their recent adventures, including; Turkey, Traffic and Toilets.
Th... Read More
- 11 August 2017Staff from intu Metrocentre have set a new record during one of our Shop Takeovers, raising an incredible £1579.95 in one day in our Gosforth shop Tuesday 1st August 2017.
St Oswald’s Shop Takeover Challenge puts teams of colleagues from businesses across the region through their paces by allowing them to ‘takeover’ one of their 27 region-wide ... Read More
- 04 August 2017Sally and Clive Harding left Newcastle recently to embark on the 2017 Mongol Rally after receiving a fond farewell from their family, friends, as well as patients, volunteers and staff at St Oswald’s.
Since then, Sally and Clive have driven thousands of miles across various countries and each week we will be bringing you a little snippet of how... Read More
- 03 August 2017Julie Roberts, 53, from Gosforth, Newcastle, has been cared for on our Inpatient Unit for pain and symptom management for the last month.
Julie has breast cancer and also attends St Oswald’s Day Hospice. When she attended Day Hospice a few weeks ago, nurses noticed a decline in Julie’s health and put plans in place to make sure she got the care... Read More
- 03 August 2017The Rotary Club in North Shields have swung past the £50,000 fundraising mark after supporting St Oswald’s for the past ten years.
The club have organised and held an annual golfing competition every summer for two decades, raising over £100,000 for charities, with participants forming teams to compete against each other to win various prizes. ... Read More
- 31 July 2017St Oswald’s very own Sophie Adamson, Shop Manager at Re-Styled by St Oswald’s, is fast becoming a TV regular after bagging a second appearance on shopping channel, Hochanda (Home of Crafts, Hobbies & Arts), this time broadcasting internationally to the Netherlands!
After impressing with her first appearance and being described by the progra... Read More
- 28 July 2017When Dunston resident Margy Young sadly lost her daughter to cancer, she decided she wanted to do something special with her spare time and give something back to her local community.
Aged just 26 when she died, Margy’s daughter was cared for by a Carlisle hospice.
Seeing the benefit of hospice care first-hand, Margy was inspired to support the ... Read More
- 11 July 2017Legends from North East football, including Paul Gascoigne and Peter Beardsley, reunited for a special charity match on Sunday 9th July to celebrate the lives of Pavel Srnicek and Chris Heron in aid of St Oswald’s.
The Pavel Cup, which was held at Dunston UTS, attracted audiences from across the region who cheered on two teams made up of former ... Read More
- 07 July 2017Juliette Taylor, a schoolgirl from Ponteland who was recently named St Oswald’s Young Fundraiser of the Year, is about to compete in the Royal International Miss Pageant in America.
The competition celebrates and rewards the work that the contestants have achieved throughout the year with a selection of themed dinners and parties, courses for t... Read More
- 03 July 2017Walking in memory of loved ones at St Oswald’s Lantern Walk
Our second Lantern Walk took place on Saturday 1st July at the Rising Sun Country Park, with over 400 walkers turning out to remember their loved ones with us.
Our walkers took part in a 5K trail around the country park, carrying lanterns to light the way as the sun set. Our merchandise... Read More
- 29 June 2017Staff from Jobcentres across Northumberland walked and cycled almost 100 miles to complete the St Oswald’s Way route, raising funds for St Oswald’s in memory of a colleague cared for at the Hospice.
St Oswald’s Way is a long-distance walking route which spans from Holy Island in the north of the county, following the Northumberland Coastline bef... Read More
- 27 June 2017The creative team at our upcycled furniture boutique, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice has launched a new series of interactive workshops, where you can learn to craft like a pro while raising funds for the Hospice.
Artistic duo, Sophie Adamson, shop manager and Sarah Finnemore, assistant manager combined their talents to develop the varied prog... Read More
- 23 June 2017This week, employees from Lloyds Bank in Cramlington raised over £1,400 for us during a recent shop takeover day in our Gosforth shop.
The Shop Takeover Challenge puts teams of colleagues through their paces by allowing them to ‘takeover’ one of our 27 region-wide charity shops for a day with the challenge of hitting a fundraising target. The te... Read More
- 21 June 2017St Oswald’s own Sophie Adamson, shop manager at our Newcastle-based upcycled furniture boutique, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice has crafted up a career milestone with a live TV appearance on shopping channel, Hochanda (Home of Crafts, Hobbies And Arts).
Last Thursday (15 June 2017), the 29-year-old made her TV debut co-presenting an hour-long ... Read More
- 21 June 2017Are you looking for a fun new way to promote good working relationships in your team? How about a low cost alternative to a team away day where you get to help St Oswald’s too? We can work with you to create something impactful and memorable, unique to you and your organisation and the best bit, free to you.
Volunteering brings a whole host of ... Read More
- 21 June 2017Our friends at Go north East have kindly donated a double decker bus to St Oswald’s which has opened up lots of exciting new opportunities for your business to get involve with.
We think our bus is so brilliant that we don’t want to just keep it for ourselves. By taking it over, you can go where your customers, your staff or people you want to ... Read More
- 17 June 2017Last year, the first Pavel Cup, in memory of much loved Newcastle United goal keeper Pavel Srníček, attracted hundreds of guests and raised £5,000 for St Oswald’s Hospice. Football fans flocked to see much loved local heroes like Nobby Solano back on the pitch at a special day of celebration.
The Pavel Cup is back this year and the event organis... Read More
- 16 June 2017St Oswald’s celebrated the success of our Great North Snowdogs trail with a special exhibition evening held inside the Hospice on Thursday 15th June.
Great North Snowdog artists, buyers and sponsors were invited to a special preview of an exhibition of photographic prints showing the Snowdogs in their ‘Furever Homes.’
Our photographer, Lee Gibbi... Read More
- 16 June 2017Our Annual Raffle is back for 2017 with some amazing prizes! Last year, the raffle raised £37,000 for St Oswald’s and we hope to smash that this year, thanks to the generosity of the business who have sponsored it.
Thanks to the continued support of Bristol Street Motors, our first prize is a fantastic Vauxhall Viva SE 17 plate.
Vertu Motors p... Read More
- 12 June 2017As the UK celebrates National Sewing Machine Day (13 June 2017), our boutique style charity shop, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice is welcoming donations of any unwanted appliances to help its creative team tailor a new programme of craft workshops, and raise funds for St Oswald's.
Nestled amongst a selection of independent retailers in Newcast... Read More
- 08 June 2017A keen cyclist from the North East has recently finished a cross-channel bike ride to raise funds for St Oswald’s.
Laura Adamson, who is originally from Newcastle but now lives in France, decided to support St Oswald’s after her late father died in the Hospice after battling cancer. As both Laura and her late father were cycling enthusiasts, Lau... Read More
- 08 June 2017A couple from Fenham, Newcastle, are about to embark on the challenge of a lifetime in order to raise money for St Oswald’s.
Clive and Sally Harding will be completing the Mongol Rally, an adventure challenge which requires participants to buy a 1 litre engine car and travel 10,000 miles across Europe and Asia over the summer 2017 before drivin... Read More
- 07 June 2017The Hospice launches its first Retail Volunteer Recruitment Week (12 – 17 June 2017) in response to ‘volunteer crisis’
As we mark the end of Volunteers’ Week 2017 (1 – 7 June), our retail team has revealed a critical need for 135 more charity shop volunteers.
With a current headcount of 512 volunteers supporting our 28 shops across the region,... Read More
- 06 June 2017A busy full-time Operations Manager from Carillion in Gosforth has spoken of her enjoyment at volunteering at St Oswald’s.
Fiona Murray first started volunteering with St Oswald’s 4 years ago as part of her employers scheme to encourage more volunteering within the local community. When Fiona noticed an advert on St Oswald’s website which compl... Read More
- 05 June 2017Our latest issue of Snapshot, our hospice newsletter, is now available and as always, it’s packed full of our latest news, keeping you up to date with new developments here at St Oswald’s.
We meet a supporter who remembered her loved ones by taking part in our Lantern Walk, hear about some exciting developments for our Complementary Therapy ser... Read More
- 05 June 2017St Oswald’s recently hosted a long-service awards ceremony and a special cream tea to honour our volunteers as part of our celebration of Volunteers Week.
Volunteers Week, which is being held between the 1st and 7th June, is a nationwide campaign which recognises the contribution that millions of volunteers make in the UK. Across Britain, more ... Read More
- 01 June 2017Today marks the beginning of Volunteers' Week (1st-7th June) and St Oswald’s is proud to be supporting it with our own celebrations.
Volunteers' Week runs for the first week of June and is a national campaign which honours the work that millions of volunteers across the UK undertake. An estimated 125,000 people volunteer in a hospice each year,... Read More
- 26 May 2017Our Dunston shop have unveiled a football themed window display to launch the 2017 Pavel Cup to honour a local football legend.
Newcastle United star Pavel Srnicek died suddenly in December 2015 and in order to remember and honour his legacy, Steve Wraith and his team at Newcastle Legends set up the Pavel Cup. The charity football match sees bi... Read More
- 24 May 2017Anyone planning to move house, get married, start a new family or simply get organised can take advantage of St Oswald’s ‘Make a Will Month’ this June.
The scheme is open to everyone, allowing you to get a great deal on making or updating your Will, while helping out a local charity.
Thanks to participating solicitors across the region, it c... Read More
- 19 May 2017The 2017 Pavel Cup will kick off in style next week as St Oswald’s Dunston Furniture shop is unveiling its dedicated window display to shoppers.
The Pavel Cup, which was first launched last year, is a charity football match held in honour of former footballer Pavel Srnicek, who died in December 2015. As St Oswald’s was a charity close to Pavel ... Read More
- 19 May 2017St Oswald’s Staff Nurse, Judy Hunter is taking on the 140 mile Coast to Coast cycle challenge later this month to raise money for the Gosforth based Hospice.
Judy, who lives in Whitley Bay is doing the challenge with her husband Nick (Director of sixth form life at Kings Priory School). They are hoping to complete the cycle in three days, cycl... Read More
- 15 May 2017Supporters of St Oswald's have managed to raise over £1,300 after completing the Mad March Mare obstacle course at Hexham Racecourse earlier in the year.
The Mad March Mare is an annual event which requires participants to take on a 10km course whilst tackling a selection of obstacles including; giant haystacks, the sheep dip and a mudslide.
... Read More
- 24 March 2017On Wednesday 23rd March, we invited our supporters into the Hospice to learn more about our upcoming Sahara challenge.
The trek, which takes place in November 2018, is a week long hike through the hottest desert on the planet. During the week, trekkers are given an opportunity to taste traditional North African cuisine, witness the diverse flo... Read More
- 23 March 2017This July, St Oswald’s Hospice will be joined by hundreds of people from across the region, for a very special walk in memory of our loved ones. The Lantern Walk is a moving and poignant celebration of life and the chance to reflect on those we love, but are no longer with us. The walk will take place at the Rising Sun Country Park on the eveni... Read More
- 20 March 2017At the Hospice we provide relaxation sessions for people with incurable conditions, at a time when they might need it most.
Relaxation sessions are for both patients and carers, and have been proven to improve mental wellbeing, reduce the symptoms of stress and help to promote sleep.
Carole Taylor, Co-ordinator of Therapeutic Activities at St Os... Read More
- 17 March 2017We are on the hunt for some chocolate goodies to fill up our Easter Hampers.
As part of our Easter celebrations we are looking to put together some scrumptious hampers which the Easter bunny will be delivering to businesses, schools and community groups throughout the North East. The aim is to raise money by raffling Easter hampers in support of... Read More
- 17 March 2017Team Walton Robinson put on their running shoes and tackled the world famous Great North Run in September 2016 on behalf of St Oswald's.
As part of our ‘Team Challenge’ competition, Walton Robinson were also presented with the 'Biggest Team' award, with sixteen runners taking part from the same organisation.
Walton Robinson have supported us for... Read More
- 14 March 2017This Nutrition and Hydration Week (13th-19th March), we are raising awareness of the importance of nutrition amongst our patients.
Food, and education about the right foods to eat, is a very important aspect of care in every service at the Hospice, and staff and volunteers go the extra mile to make sure patient needs are catered for.
Liz Watso... Read More
- 13 March 2017Businesses, schools and community groups throughout the North East are raising money by raffling Easter hampers in support of St Oswald’s – and you can join in too!
Every year, in the run-up to Easter, St. Oswald’s provides all the ingredients necessary for groups all over the region to organise their very own Easter Hamper Raffle. The organis... Read More
- 09 March 2017Our retail team is taking the streets of Gateshead next week (Monday 13 March) to share the wide range of volunteering opportunities available to local residents.
We’ll be popping up at Trinity Square in the town centre for the day to showcase how a retail volunteering role can offer a huge amount of benefits to those taking up the challenge.
W... Read More
- 09 March 2017St Oswald's has managed to raise over £850 after several supporters completed the Mad March Mare obstacle course at Hexham racecourse.
Mad March Mare is an annual event which requires participants to take on a 10km course whilst tackling a selection of obstacles including a giant haystack, shoulder deep water and a mudslide.
Organised by Challe... Read More
- 09 March 2017A local running group from Wallsend, North Tyneside, are celebrating after racing past their fundraising target by raising over £30,000 for St Oswald’s as we celebrate our 30th birthday year.
The Wallsend Harriers and Athletics Club have been supporting St Oswald’s since 2008. The club have members of all ages and abilities and of various ages a... Read More
- 06 March 2017We celebrated the work of our Children and Young Adult’s Service with a ‘Pure Imagination’ Ball at the Hilton Hotel, NewcastleGateshead on Saturday 4th March.
Invited guests, including supporters of the hospice past and present, gathered together for an evening of entertainment, music, prize auctions and dancing, all themed around the popular ch... Read More
- 03 March 2017Moira Leman, age 65 from Kingston Park in Newcastle, has received treatment at the Hospice for her lymphoedema for many years. Moira was diagnosed with lymphoedema when she had an insect bite in one arm which caused cellulitis. When the bite became extremely swollen and red, she visited her local hospital who referred her to us.
We provide a ful... Read More
- 03 March 2017Vallum Farm, near Hexham, Northumberland, are organising an afternoon of tea, dancing and music in support of St Oswald’s.
The event, held on Saturday 1st April, is called Teapots and Twirls and will combine live music and dancing in the outdoor venue Paddock Marquee, with afternoon tea and refreshments provided throughout. Entertainment will co... Read More
- 03 March 2017Sweet toothed visitors to Whitley Bay in the run up to Easter are in for a treat! Eden’s Café in Whitley Bay have created a giant chocolate Easter egg which is being raffled off for charity with the proceeds being donated to St Oswald’s.
The egg, made with the café’s own homemade Belgian dark chocolate, weighs between 18-20kg and took thirty fiv... Read More
- 03 March 2017Val Rimmer, 70 from from Dudley, North Tyneside, has had lymphoedema for as long as she can remember but it wasn’t until five years ago that she was diagnosed with the condition.
She is now treated for her lymphoedema at the Hospice.
Val tells us more:
“I’ve been coming to the Hospice for about five years now and it’s great to know that I’m not ... Read More
- 27 February 2017This Lymphoedema Awareness Week (5th-11th March) we will once again be raising awareness of the condition.
Although there is no cure for lymphoedema and the condition is life long, with the right treatment, lymphoedema can be managed to help people to live as normal a life as possible.
We are a national centre of excellence for lymphoedema manag... Read More
- 24 February 2017Heighley Gate Garden Centre recently presented St Oswald’s with a cheque for over £4,400 from their 2016 fundraising endeavours.
During 2016 the Morpeth based garden centre held a series of fundraising events such as a 12 days of Christmas raffle, an old MacDonald themed party and a classic car show hosted jointly with N.E.C.P.W.A North (North o... Read More
- 24 February 2017Are you looking for a new challenge? In November 2018, we will be trekking to the largest hot desert in the world for an eight day adventure of a lifetime through the Moroccan Sahara and we need people to join our team! This is the perfect opportunity to get together with colleagues on the ultimate team building challenge, or just go it alone an... Read More
- 20 February 2017This year National Student Volunteer Week runs from the 20th to 26th of February, and St Oswald’s Hospice, based in Gosforth, is making the most of the week by saying a huge thank you to all of its student volunteers, as well as opening its doors to other students who may be interested in helping out.
St Oswald’s Hospice currently has over 90 st... Read More
- 17 February 2017We were delighted to invite the North East England Chamber of Commerce to the Hospice on Thursday 16th February to help host their Coffee & Connections meeting. The event was attended by a number of senior figures from North East businesses and charities, some of whom were visiting us for the first time.
Sarah Gray from GPA Law attended the ... Read More
- 17 February 2017We were ‘wheely’ delighted to receive £1,406.19 from a group of local Northumberland supporters earlier this year. The 2017 Ponteland Wheelbarrow Race, held annually every New Years Day, asks competitors to pair up, with one passenger and one driver, and undertake a one mile race through Ponteland starting from the Blackbird Inn. 52 pairings too... Read More
- 16 February 2017We said a huge thank you to some of our incredible supporters at our Life List Awards, on Wednesday 16th February.
Supporters were invited to the Copthorne Hotel in Newcastle to a ceremony hosted by our Chaplain, Davina Radford.
After thanking everyone for their incredible efforts and achievements, in aid of the hospice, Davina presented atten... Read More
- 10 February 2017North East shopping centres intu Eldon Square and intu Metrocentre welcomed some very special four legged guests this week, as part of our latest fundraising initiative– but these pooches won’t need to be taken for walkies!
The two intu shopping centres in Newcastle and Gateshead have chosen St Oswald’s Hospice as their Charity of the Year. One... Read More
- 07 February 2017The ‘With Love’ By St Oswald's Hospice Sale starts this Saturday!
Love is in the air across St Oswald’s shops this February with the launch of our first ever annual retail sale!
Individual special offers will be held at 27 of our charity shops across the North East ahead of Valentine’s Day, as part of the new ‘With Love’ By St Oswald's Hospice... Read More
- 02 February 2017We were delighted to be selected as intu Eldon Square and intu Metrocentre’s joint charity of the year for 2017! And one of the first campaigns we will work on together is the Great North Run, with intu sponsoring the vests of our team of runners.
2016 saw an incredible year for St Oswald’s in the Great North Run, with our highest ever total of... Read More
- 19 January 2017Our Annual Raffle is a very well supported campaign in our calendar of events, and we are proud to announce that in 2016, it raised over £40,191. All proceeds will help support our vital work in the local community.
We were delighted to be able to officially present the winner of our Annual Raffle with their prize this week – a Vauxhall Corsa, ... Read More
- 14 January 2017We were delighted to receive a very generous donation of £10,000 by Northern Bear, a group of specialist building services companies.
Northern Bear provide roofing, materials handling and other specialist services to the public sector and construction industry throughout the north east.
We were adopted by Northern Bear as their local ‘charity of... Read More
- 13 January 2017One of our amazing supporters will ‘Do Something Great’ for St Oswald’s this year, by climbing one of the world's most iconic volcanoes.
John Farrington, from Jesmond, is in his 70’s and taking on the ultimate challenge of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, to raise money for St Oswald’s and tick the challenge off of his ‘Life List’. John’s wife, Anne,... Read More
- 06 January 2017An abundance of creative window displays on show at our Jesmond vintage boutique throughout 2016 has seen the shop recognised as ‘Merchandising Inspiration of the Month’ by popular blog, Charity Shop Visual Merchandising.
By St Oswald’s Hospice, located on Hazelwood Avenue is the first charity retail store to be selected for the prestigious titl... Read More
- 04 January 2017Our very own Dave Taylor took to one wheel on New Year’s Day to raise funds for St Oswald’s.
The annual Ponteland Wheelbarrow Race on New Year’s Day saw Hospice Chef, Dave, 49 and his passenger Clare Richardson join 51 other pairs in the one mile dash starting at the Blackbird Inn in the village. The event has run for over 700 years and is one... Read More
- 22 December 2016This week (21 December) we’ve been getting in to the festive spirit with a magical visit from the cast of James and the Giant Peach from Northern Stage.
James and a cast of giant insects performed songs from the show, as well as festive classics to the families we care for and our staff.
Carole Dixon, Children and Young Adults Service Manager at... Read More
- 21 December 2016A huge thank you to Weight Watchers North East for helping us celebrate our 30th Birthday throughout 2016.
This year members of Weight Watchers North East have been an amazing support to St Oswald's having been involved in a number of fundraising and volunteering activities, from providing goodie bags for our Lantern Walk in the Summer, a ‘healt... Read More
- 16 December 2016We gave Fenwick’s Christmas window a run for its money this week (14 December 2016) as popular Newcastle actress, Kim Tserkezie revealed a live festive display at our Dunston furniture shop.
Best known for her role as Penny Pocket in CBeebies’ BAFTA award-winning children’s series, Balamory, Kim welcomed a large crowd of spectators anticipating ... Read More
- 16 December 2016Train Tealight holder, 8XM259, 38cm, £9.99.
Please do not use this product. Return it to the store as soon as possible for a full refund.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for your continued support. Read More
- 14 December 2016A huge thank you to everyone who has taken part in Light up a Life 2016, so far an amazing £93,000 has been raised for the Hospice!
Our Berwick Light up a Life service took place on Monday 12th December at the Berwick Baptist Church.
Mayor Ivor Dixon along with the The Norham Village Band, the Berwick Community Choir and church parishioners cam... Read More
- 10 November 2016Paint Your Own Snowdog Workshops, Saturday 12 November
Our new specialist upcycled furniture charity shop, Re-styled by St Oswald’s Hospice is hosting a day of special Snowdog-themed workshops this Saturday (12 November) where budding young artists can creatively customise their own canine keepsakes.
To mark the addition of our new Paint Your Ow... Read More
- 04 November 2016
Visitors to our Christmas Market are in for plenty of seasonal surprises and festive fun this year, with a snowy theme inspired by our recent Great North Snowdogs art trail.
Our popular annual market is taking place in the grounds of the Hospice between 11am and 3pm on Saturday 26th November. This year’s theme is ‘The Snowman and the Snowdog... Read More
- 21 October 2016By now, all of our supporters should have received a copy of our Autumn/Winter edition of Snapshot, our Hospice newsletter.
This issue includes a round up of our Summer 30th Birthday celebrations and the launch of our Christmas remembrance campaign, Light up a Life. Hear the latest news from retail including the exciting addition of a specialis... Read More
- 21 October 2016Our specialist charity shop in Jesmond, By St Oswald’s Hospice is preparing to be fashionably early for the party season at its inaugural VIP Preview Event next month (November).
After months of planning by the shop’s team of staff and volunteers, the exclusive event will showcase a hand-picked selection of vintage and pre-loved fashion. Tailore... Read More
- 20 September 2016London Fashion Week might be hitting catwalks in the capital this week, but staff and volunteers at St Oswald’s North Shields charity shop are preparing to strut their stuff for local fashionistas at their own special fashion show - showcasing items that are all Brand New With Tags and only £1.
Taking place on Saturday (24 September 2016) at Chr... Read More
- 14 September 2016We are very excited that we have been awarded a grant by Tesco’s ‘Bags of Help’ initiative, as one of the three North East projects. We now need you to help us win the top prize in store!
Tesco has teamed up with Groundwork on its Bags of Help initiative in hundreds of regions across England and Wales. The scheme will see three community groups ... Read More
- 09 September 2016Estate agency Walton Robinson are joining in with our 30th Birthday celebrations by running for St Oswald’s in the Great North Run with a huge team of 17!
Walton Robinson have set a fundraising target of £5,000 to help mark the occasion and business owner, Mark Walton, has also pledged to have his legs waxed for the first time if this target is ... Read More
- 05 September 2016Francesca Tomlinson, 25, is making final preparations for this years’ Great North Run in memory of her father who spent the last few weeks of his life at St. Oswald’s.
Francesca, from Bill Quay in Gateshead, has chosen to run for Team St Oswald’s to thank the team who cared for her Dad.
St Oswald's helped create a beautiful plac... Read More
- 11 August 2016Our biggest ever Shop Takeover Challenge is set to take place next week (Friday 19 August) as staff from Anchor Housing take control of five of our charity shops on the same day.
The synchronised mass takeover will see Anchor teams deployed across our North Shields, Jesmond, Whitley Bay, Sunderland and Gosforth charity shops. Teams will then go... Read More
- 04 August 2016A collection of rare musical instruments donated to the Hospice has raised thousands of pounds after going under the hammer on Sunday.
Discovered last month during a legacy house clearance, the instruments included a mint condition 1912 Steinway B grand piano and two vintage violins.
The pieces, which were sold at Alnwick Auctions, were snapped ... Read More
- 03 August 2016We are delighted to announce that we have been officially named as the chosen charity of NCASS (Northern Chartered Account Student Society) for the 2016-2017 year.
Discussions have already begun between the Hospice and NCASS about exciting ways that NCASS can best support us over the next 12 months. The plans include donations of money raised fr... Read More
- 28 July 2016An ordinary house clearance turned into an unexpected treasure hunt for the Hospice, with the discovery of an array of rare musical instruments at the home of one of our supporters.
A mint condition Steinway piano and two vintage violins were among the items, which together have been valued at thousands of pounds. The instruments, along with the... Read More
- 13 July 2016The Newcastle office of business advisory firm Deloitte have raised over £9,000 for St Oswald’s since the beginning of their charity partnership in June 2015, and the firm is continuing the partnership through sponsorship of our Great North Snowdogs project.
We were delighted to be selected after a vote by the 200 staff in the firm’s Newcastle Q... Read More
- 11 July 2016Our very first Lantern Walk at Newcastle Racecourse on Saturday 9th July saw 350 people from the region and beyond come together to commemorate the lives of their loves ones, raising over £33,000 for St Oswald’s.
The Lantern Walk was sponsored by Cooperative Funeral Care and saw supporters walk a 5km course, carrying papers lanterns and electric... Read More
- 01 July 2016After supporting us for 20 years, Surinder Kaur Ghura, MBE, from Jesmond, has raised a staggering £13,000. With the help of the local Sikh community and the children’s choir of the Gurdwara Siri Guru Singh Sabha, Sikh Temple, she has accumulated the grand total through choir events and her continued attendance to the hospice Christmas fair, in w... Read More
- 01 July 2016Anne Cassidy, from Wallsend works as a staff nurse in our Day Hospice and is taking part in the Lantern Walk, in memory of both her Mum and Brother, John.
Anne’s Mother stayed on St Oswald’s Inpatient unit in February 1987, not long after we officially opened our doors in July 1986. At the time Anne lived in Scotland but was so impressed with ... Read More
- 27 June 2016Nichola Sweet, from Northumberland, is taking part in our Lantern Walk on Saturday 9th July, in memory of her grandmother, Isabel, who she called ‘Nanna Bel’.
Isabel died aged 85 when she was taken in to hospital with pneumonia, and it was then she was also diagnosed with lung cancer. Nichola didn’t get chance to say goodbye to her Nanna Bel, bu... Read More
- 24 June 2016A group of nine ramblers from St Mary’s the Virgin Church in Ovingham, Northumberland have recently completed the St Oswald’s Way walk to raise funds for their local church and for St Oswald’s Hospice.
St Oswald’s Way is a long distance walking route which incorporates some of the most picturesque and historical locations from across the North E... Read More
- 23 June 2016A brand new event in the region this summer will invite people to come together to remember those who were special to them.
The Lantern Walk is being organised by St Oswald’s Hospice, Newcastle and will see 1,000 supporters gather together at Newcastle Racecourse on Saturday 9th July. Each holding a paper lantern, the walkers will light the wa... Read More
- 17 June 2016A local family are holding a fundraising event this month, in memory of their wife and mother. Cindy Pearson died in 2010, of Ovarian cancer and received care at St Oswald’s.
Over the last five years, Cindy’s daughter, 24 year old Colleen Pearson, from Gosforth, along with other members of the Pearson family, has raised over £14,000 for the Ho... Read More
- 17 June 2016Comedy fans are in for a treat as a host of well-known faces will come together for ‘Chuckle for Charity’ at The Stand, Newcastle on Tuesday 26th July.
The evening promises to be an hilarious event and will promote our fantastic achievements ahead of our 30th Birthday celebrations. The event will be held at top Newcastle comedy club, The Stand, ... Read More
- 17 June 2016Health conscious staff and members at a Newcastle gym put down the weights and picked up the cakes in support of St Oswald’s last month.
Pure Gym based at Quorum Business Park in Longbenton, Newcastle signed up to take part in our Big Birthday Bake, in celebration of our 30th Anniversary this year. Staff baked a range of sweet treats, from hea... Read More
- 16 June 2016By now, all of our supporters should have received a copy of our Spring Summer edition of Snapshot, our Hospice newsletter.
As we celebrate our 30th Birthday in July, the theme of this edition of Snapshot is #30yearofcare. There are features about what our staff and patients are doing to mark the occasion, how legacies are vital to our future p... Read More
- 09 June 2016On Monday 6th of June, we hosted our annual Volunteers Cream Tea. The event marked national Volunteers’ Week (1st-12th June) and honoured the hard work and dedication of our volunteers.
Across the UK each year, more than 125,000 volunteers generously give their free time to support hospice care in different ways, including over 1300 volunteers ... Read More
- 31 May 2016A volunteer and supporter is on a mission to complete 40 challenges before her 40th birthday, to raise money for the Hospice.
Vikki Bennett, 39, from Gosforth, Newcastle, is less than 10 months away from her 40th birthday and wants to do something amazing to celebrate.
Before turning 40, Vikki will be taking on a number of challenges with the ai... Read More
- 19 May 2016Throughout June 2016, St. Oswald’s Hospice is offering members of the public an opportunity to create or renew their will at a discounted rate of just £90 for an individual will and £125 for a pair of wills. The solicitor will then donate the entire fee to St. Oswald’s Hospice.
Make a Will month has ran for one month every year since 1998 and ha... Read More
- 09 May 2016We’re encouraging local people to be open in their conversations about death during Dying Matters Awareness Week, which runs throughout the week.
This year’s theme is ‘The Big Conversation’, raising awareness of the importance of talking more openly about end of life wishes. The latest figures show that 72% of members of the public believe that ... Read More
- 20 April 2016Mobile network operator and internet service provider EE has donated four tablets to the Hospice for use within our Children and Young Adults Service and Family Support Team. EE’s North East team hope that this is the beginning of further joined up working.
The donated tablets will be put to good use by the children, young adults and families us... Read More
- 22 March 2016Business leaders from across the North East gathered at an event to highlight the potential regional benefits to be gained by supporting our Great North Snowdogs campaign.
Following the launch of our exciting project, Tyne and Wear Metro joined forces with the North East Chamber of Commerce (NECC) and Northumbrian Water to encourage other busin... Read More
- 04 March 2016St Oswald’s PAT dog, Maida, will soon be heading off to take part in the world’s largest dog show – Crufts - and St Oswald’s staff, volunteers and patients couldn’t be prouder!
Seven year old Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound), Maida, and her owner Julia Marvin from Ponteland, have been visiting St Oswald’s patients and families every week since 2012. ... Read More
- 01 March 2016Children and young adults at the Hospice had a special visit from players from rugby union team Newcastle Falcons.
The Newcastle Falcons players got a chance to meet the children and young adults staying with us, and were given a tour of the facilities, including the sensory suite, where children have physiotherapy and music therapy.
Players inc... Read More
- 25 February 2016Local schools have put their best paws forward by signing up to our Great North Snowdogs schools project!
Great North Snowdogs will see large scale sculptures of the much loved character from the Raymond Briggs short story, the Snowman and The Snowdog form a trail across the north east from September 2016, decorated by artists and sponsored by b... Read More
- 22 February 2016Thank you to everyone at Greggs at Balliol Business Park for your fantastic fundraising efforts throughout 2015.
Operations Manager Ian Blackwood, and Administrator Lynn Thompson from Greggs visited the Hospice today, bringing with them their amazing donation of £920.75.
Lynn tells us:
Each year we support two charities, and in 2015 we had a s... Read More
- 01 February 2016We are delighted to announce the lucky winner of our annual raffle! Anne Ballantyne and her family, who live in Morpeth, won the star prize and drove off in a brand new Honda Jazz. The raffle raised a record breaking £46,259 this year thanks our amazing supporters buying tickets in a bid to snap up the star prize.
The car, which was donated by t... Read More
- 27 January 2016We said a huge thank you to some of our incredible supporters at our Life List Awards, on Tuesday 26th January.
Supporters were invited to the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, Newcastle Airport, to a ceremony hosted by our Chaplain, Davina Radford.
After thanking everyone for their incredible efforts and achievements, in aid of the hospice, Davina pr... Read More
- 22 January 2016Bradley O’Mahoney Public Relations are putting their full support behind our Great North Snowdogs campaign, helping to raise awareness and encourage the business community to get involved.
Daniel O’Mahoney, managing director, Bradley O’Mahoney, said: “As this is such a special year for us, we wanted to show our thanks and appreciation to the reg... Read More
- 13 January 2016We need your help! Our pack of Great North Snowdogs are so excited about touring the North East in September this year, but we need ideas for temporary homes for them. We’re looking for suggestions of locations across Tyne and Wear, from hidden gems and iconic favourites to up and coming areas to show off our remarkable region to its fullest.
We... Read More
- 05 January 2016We were delighted to be chosen as one of the beneficiaries of the long running and much loved Ponteland Wheelbarrow Races, which took place on New Year’s Day morning around St Mary’s Parish Church in the village centre – as has been customary since the early 14th century.
Organised by the Ponteland 41 Club and Ponteland Rugby Club, both of whom ... Read More
- 05 January 2016Make 2016 the year you ‘Do Something Great’ and sign up to our ‘Life List’ charity challenge, in celebration of our upcoming 30th birthday!
January is the time of year for resolutions and making changes, so we are calling on you, our supporters, to make a list of things you have always wanted to do, and make them a reality. Our Life List compris... Read More
- 18 December 2015It's been a busy day at the Hospice as we've had lots of lovely visitors spreading festive cheer!
Thank you to ASDA Gosforth for all of your support with our Light up a Life campaign, you have helped raise much needed funds for the Hospice. Thank you also for your generous Toy Appeal gifts for our Children and Young Adults Service.
ASDA ... Read More
- 17 December 2015On Wednesday 16th December at the Metro Radio Arena, 1300 supporters lit up a life in memory of a loved one at our annual Light up a Life Remembrance service. A huge thank you to everyone who attended and took part in Light up a Life, so far an amazing £100,000 has been raised for the Hospice.
Thank you also to our entertainment on the night: R... Read More
- 08 December 2015Supporters can dedicate a light on a special remembrance tree in memory of a loved one this Christmas by taking part in Light up a Life. These lights will be unveiled at a remembrance service which takes place on Wednesday 16th December at the Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, doors open at 5pm, service starts at 6.30pm.
Our lovely supporter Annabel... Read More
- 02 December 2015Lauren Thompson, 23 from West Denton dedicates a light in memory of her Grandad, Brian Cheetham each year. Brian was a St Oswald’s Day Hospice patient for four months before he died on our Inpatient Unit in 2013.
Lauren tells us:
“My Grandad was diagnosed with lung cancer in June 2012, but previous to this he also had a stroke. When he first got... Read More
- 30 November 2015Hundreds of local supporters turned out for our annual Christmas Market on Saturday 28th November. The market was a huge success, raising a record breaking £18,000 for the Hospice.
The event was opened with help from Wishee Washee, Widow Twanky and Constable Pong from The Tyne Theatre’s Aladdin pantomime. Miss Junior Northumberland Galaxy, Julie... Read More
- 25 November 2015St Oswald’s supporter, Paul Donaghy is supporting our Light up a Life campaign again this Christmas, in memory of his Mum, Pat.
Paul, 47, from Durham said:
“My family have attended the Light a Life ceremony every year since it started at the Central Station in Newcastle. It has become a family tradition and a lovely way to start the Christmas ce... Read More
- 18 November 2015A local family are remembering a loved one in support of St Oswald’s Hospice this Christmas.
Louise Woods, from Whitley Bay, and her 10-year old daughter Freya, are remembering their son and brother, Will, this Christmas by taking part in Light up a Life. Will, aged 5, died suddenly in June 2014 from a rare and aggressive childhood cancer called... Read More
- 16 November 2015The popular Grey Street Continental Christmas Market has returned to Newcastle and this year, it has a very special guest!
The popular market, which runs daily until Sunday 29th November on Grey Street and Grainger Street in the town centre, will feature a Santa’s Grotto this year, ran by staff and volunteers from St Oswald’s!
Santa will be welc... Read More
- 11 November 2015We are excited and pleased to announce a brand new fundraising event taking place this summer, inviting people to come together to remember those who were special to them.
The Lantern Walk will see hundreds of people gather together at Newcastle Racecourse on Saturday 9th July. Each holding a paper lantern, the walkers will light the way along t... Read More
- 11 November 2015The region’s business, creative and education sectors came together at Gateshead’s Northern Design Centre on Tuesday 10th November, to hear how our trail of giant Snowdog sculptures will capture the hearts of the North East in 2016.
The launch of Great North Snowdogs, was attended by over 100 invited guests from across the region, all eager to ... Read More
- 09 November 2015Every year thousands of people – not just those with a connection to St Oswald’s – remember a loved one by taking part in Light up a Life.
Supporters can dedicate a light on our Remembrance Tree by making a donation to the Hospice. These lights will be unveiled at our Light up a Life services in December where each light shines in memory of a lo... Read More
- 21 October 2015Thank you so much to fundraiser Paul Donaghy, from Durham, who set a new Guinness World Record for the most two person pantomime animal costumes to run 100m at a racecourse, raising over £6,800 for the Hospice.
On the 31st August 2015, 64 two person pantomime animals raced half a furlong along the Gosforth Park track during the Blaydon Races Fam... Read More
- 14 September 2015On Sunday 13th September, we cheered on over 300 Team St Oswald’s runners in the Morrison’s Great North Run 2015.
We were blessed with sunshine and the atmosphere at the tent was fantastic. We were supported by volunteers from Wyevale Garden Centre in Gosforth, Asda in Gosforth and Wansbeck Road, Sky contact centre in Newcastle and Newcastle Cit... Read More
- 10 September 2015David Vasey, 35, from Whitley Bay North Tyneside, is running the Great North Run for the fifth time, in memory of his father in law.
Dave Walter, received pain and symptom management care at St Oswald's after suffering from Bowel Cancer and Lymphoedema. He died in May 2014.
David, an IT Trainer at a Sintons Law, tell us:
“My father in law had Bo... Read More
- 06 September 2015Emily Giles, 31, from Gateshead is taking on the Great North Run this year in support of our Children and Young Adult’s Service, where her daughter Amber receives care.
This is the first year Emily is taking part in the Great North Run. She tells us:
“My 4 year old daughter Amber was born 16 weeks early and as a result of this, she has four lim... Read More
- 05 September 2015To mark 10 years since his father’s death, John-Paul Dickie, 20, from Blyth, Northumberland, is taking part in this years’ Morrisons Great North Run in aid of St Oswald’s.
John-Paul, a Journalism student at the University of Lincoln, said:
“My Dad, Ian, died after a long term battle with cancer on June 21st 2005. I was only 10 at the time, but n... Read More
- 21 July 2015At St Oswald's Hospice we provide much more than end of life care. Amongst many other things, we provide day services for people with life-limiting illnesses, including six-week Focus on Living courses.
Courses, such as relaxation and creative writing classes, aim to enhance people’s sense of wellbeing and enjoyment, and are an opportunity for ... Read More
- 03 June 2015Fundraising at work is a great way to rally your colleagues and make it a team effort to support a charity. But where to start?
Here are our top 10 ideas for fundraising at work
Bake off – who doesn’t love cake? Charge people per slice and rate the best cake!
Sponsored silence – find out who in your workplace can keep their mouths closed... Read More
- 12 May 2015One thing we hear a lot is "Do you find it hard to work in a Hospice?"
Whilst there are very emotional times for our staff and volunteers as they carry out their work at St Oswald's, caring for adults, young people and children with life-limiting conditions is also inspirational.
Davina Radford, our Chaplain, tells us about one special patient... Read More
- 01 April 2015Writing a Will is often something people are nervous about doing, something only 'grown ups' have or something you just keep putting off.
But whether you've bought your first house, got married, had a family, or just have something valuable to leave, it is extremely useful to leave a Will outlining your wishes. This means you can look after you... Read More
- 09 March 20151 in 3 people will be touched by hospice care in their lifetime. But what exactly does 'hospice care' mean?
There are many misconceptions surrounding the work done by the 200+ hospices in the United Kingdom. We want to bust some of those myths today once and for all!
Myth: Hospices are where you go to die.
Most people think that hospices a... Read More
- 26 January 2015Here at St Oswald's we have over 1400 volunteers in over 120 different volunteering roles, from patient focused roles and support roles, to volunteering in our shops or with our fundraising team.
Our volunteers are the lifeblood of the Hospice, enabling us to continue to provide the quality care and services we are committed to.
However, have ... Read More
- 01 January 2015As we look back on another year at St Oswald’s Hospice, our commitment to providing first class quality care and developing services around the changing needs of the North East adults, children and young people we serve, remains at our very core.
We have listened to feedback from stakeholders through surveys, focus groups and our Feedback Ba... Read More
- 15 September 2014We've been providing a lymphoedema service for over 15 years, treating patients from across the North East with this chronic swelling of the arms, legs, head, neck and other areas of the body.
A large part of our work centres on educating patients and healthcare professionals about how to identify lymphoedema and who can help, as well as techni... Read More
- 18 June 2014St Oswald’s sits in a quiet, leafy part of Gosforth, next to the vast Virgin Money site.
Many people will have passed by us, some maybe wondering what’s behind the main doors, others dreading even the thought it.
Such is the misconception of hospices that a great number of people believe that you go into a hospice and don’t come out again. Tha... Read More