What can I donate?
Thank you for your interest in donating your unwanted items to St Oswald's. All profits from selling items in our shops goes towards caring for North East adults, young people and children at a time when they need it most.
What to donate:
- clothes (children and adult)
- furniture (we can collect this from your home if you prefer)
- shoes and accessories
- books, DVDs and CDs
- household linen
- bric a brac
- collectables and antiques
Due to health and safety regulations and the current public demand for items, there are some requirements for your donations:
- We currently aren't accepting TV units due to increased supply.
- All upholstered items such as 3-piece suites and chairs must have fire labels attached in order for us to sell them on
- Television sets must be the new slimline models
- We're currently not accepting conservatory suites
- We do not accept video or cassette tapes
- Old microwaves and gas or electric cookers are also not accepted
- We can accept tables without chairs if they are in pine. Sets of chairs must be in 2s i.e 2,4,6,8
- We cannot accept duvets or quilts
- We cannot accept wall units that are over 3 ½ feet wide
- We accept sideboards that are up to 4ft wide
In order for us to be able to sell the items that you donate, some of them have to meet certain safety standards.
British safety specification
We can only accept upholstered items if there is a label attached that lets us know it meets UK safety standards.
Mattresses and upholstered bed bases have to be in a good clean condition with no rips, tears or stains. The items must also have a fire label sewn in, which refers to BS7177 - which is the British safety specification for resistance to ignition of mattresses, divans and bed bases.
Fire safety labels
There are two versions of a fire label as shown below. They are permanent and will be sewn into or stapled to the item. Unfortunately we cannot accept items where the labels are not on each individual item. The fire label may be on any external surface of the item including underneath removable seating and cushions.
Anything we can't sell we will upcycle or recycle. Find out more about our recycling intiatives here.